Poppy Seed Lemon Loaves
These light golden loaves have just a hint of almond flavor mixed in with the lemon.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes2 mini loaves
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon peel
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking soda and lemon peel. Combine the remaining ingredients; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spoon into two greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Editor's Note:The baked bread may be frozen for up to 2 months.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 201 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Poppy Seed Lemon Loaves in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.