Poppy Seed-Filled Scones with Lemon Curd
These scones are lovely when cut into wedges and draped with lemon curd. I often mix up the batter the night before and pop them into the oven the next morning to bake up fresh and golden brown.—Shannon Koene, Blacksburg, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
Makes16 scones (1-1/2 cups lemon curd)
- 3 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 can (12-1/2 ounces) poppy seed cake and pastry filling
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk the eggs, sugar, lemon juice and zest until blended. Add butter; cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Transfer to a small bowl; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- For scones, in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, poppy seeds, cream of tarter, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the orange juice, egg, egg yolk and orange zest; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Divide dough into four portions. Pat each portion into a 7-in. circle. Spread poppy seed filling over two circles. Top with remaining circles; pinch edges to seal.
- Transfer to two greased baking sheets. Combine egg white and water; brush over scones. Cut each into eight wedges, but do not separate. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with lemon curd.
To Make Ahead: Lemon curd can be made up to 1 week in advance; cover and store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 374 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 329mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Poppy Seed Filled Scones with Lemon Curd in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.