VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, butter, egg, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a small saucepan, combine the filling ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half; roll each portion into a 12-in. circle. Spread with filling to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Cut each circle into 12 wedges. Roll up wedges from the wide end and place point side down 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Curve ends to form a crescent. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolk and water; brush over rolls. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Poppy Seed Crescents in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p166