Poppy Seed Cranberry Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed and chopped
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, beat the egg, milk, butter, vanilla and lemon peel. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cranberries.
- Pour into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over cooled loaf.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 239 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 266mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Apr 10, 2011
I love this bread! I didn't have cranberries so I substituted blueberries and everyone I've made it for has enjoyed it. Very good!
Nov 6, 2008
This sounds good. I'll have to try it soon.Thank you for sharing.Sincerely,
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.