Poppy Seed Cranberry Bread
I make poppy seed bread about once a month. So one Christmas, I decided to make it a little more festive by stirring in some cranberries. My family loved the colorful addition. —Cindy Harmon, Stuarts Draft, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed and chopped
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons whole milk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, beat the egg, milk, butter, vanilla and lemon zest. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cranberries.
- Pour into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over cooled loaf.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 239 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 266mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Poppy Seed Cranberry Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2001
Apr 10, 2011
I love this bread! I didn't have cranberries so I substituted blueberries and everyone I've made it for has enjoyed it. Very good!
Nov 6, 2008
This sounds good. I'll have to try it soon.Thank you for sharing.Sincerely,