- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Pour half of the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Combine filling ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Carefully top with remaining batter. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews forPoppy Seed Coffee Cake
"This tasted ok but the batter was way too sticky and thick to spread evenly over the second layer. Too much work for just an ok kind of cake."