Poppy Seed Citrus Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/3 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, orange juice and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Fold in the poppy seeds, lemon and orange zest.
- Pour into a well-greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar and orange juice until smooth. Drizzle over warm cake. Sprinkle with lemon and orange zest.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 369 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 290mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 17, 2017
This recipe caught my eye and after reading the ingredients I decided I had to try it. It is WONDERFUL!! I used the 2 TBS poppy seeds and that was perfect! My hubby loves this cake and he requests it often. This is my "go to" cake when I need to take a cake. THANK you for submitting this awesome recipe!!
May 7, 2013
Moist, very delicious. Loved by my craft group this morning.
May 10, 2011
My family loves lemon so making this for a mothers day brunch was a no brainer. Excellent the only ingredient I added was some Penzy pure lemon extract to the cake batted and glaze.
Dec 2, 2010
My family loves this cake, they ask for it all the time. My 17 year old who does not like cake even ask me to make it.
Sep 4, 2010
What a lovely summer cake! I made it without poppy seeds and it was just delicious. My husband loved it and took a slice in his lunch every day till it was gone! Then he asked me to make more.
Apr 2, 2009
Minus the poppy seeds, we call this Orange Cooler Cake. It's been a family favorite for 30 yrs!!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.