- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/3 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, orange juice and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Fold in the poppy seeds, lemon and orange peel.
- Pour into a well-greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar and orange juice until smooth. Drizzle over warm cake. Sprinkle with lemon and orange peels. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forPoppy Seed Citrus Cake
"This recipe caught my eye and after reading the ingredients I decided I had to try it. It is WONDERFUL!! I used the 2 TBS poppy seeds and that was perfect! My hubby loves this cake and he requests it often. This is my "go to" cake when I need to take a cake. THANK you for submitting this awesome recipe!!"
"Moist, very delicious. Loved by my craft group this morning."
"My family loves lemon so making this for a mothers day brunch was a no brainer. Excellent the only ingredient I added was some Penzy pure lemon extract to the cake batted and glaze."
"What a lovely summer cake! I made it without poppy seeds and it was just delicious. My husband loved it and took a slice in his lunch every day till it was gone! Then he asked me to make more."
"Minus the poppy seeds, we call this Orange Cooler cake. It's been a family favorite for 30 yrs!!!!"