Poppy Seed Chiffon Bundt Cake
This terrific cake recipe was given to me by my grandchild. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 7 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup poppy seeds
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a small bowl, soak poppy seeds in hot water for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks, oil, vanilla and poppy seeds with water. Add to dry ingredients; beat until well blended.
- In another large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Pour into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 306 calories, 18g fat (3g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 271mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Poppy Seed Ciffon Cake in Country Extra March 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.