Poppy Seed Bundt Cake Recipe
This recipe, passed down from my mother, is perfect for church or social functions. I can be made ahead (it freezes beautifully) and is not sticky or crumbly—that's important if you're trying to walk around and socialize.
- 6 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 egg, separated
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. Place poppy seeds and buttermilk in a bowl; soak for 2 hours. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Add sugar and egg yolks; beat well. Combine remaining dry ingredients; add alternately with poppy seeds/buttermilk to creamed mixture.
- 2. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into batter; set aside. Combine filling ingredients; sprinkle a third into bottom of a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Pour in half of batter; "swirl" in half of remaining filling. Add remaining batter and filling; again swirling together. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Turn out immediately onto wire rack to cool. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 slice: 242 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 281mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
Reviewed Jul. 23, 2014
"Nice recipe :)"
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC