Poppy Seed Bread Mix
"I'm always on the lookout for recipes that are quick, easy and use ingredients I normally have on hand," relates Laurie Marini of Newport, North Carolina. This simple seeded loaf is delicious alone or spread with cream cheese or jam. "It freezes well, too," Laurie adds.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 55 min.
Makes1 loaf per batch
- 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons salt
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 4 batches (16 cups total).
- To prepare one loaf: In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, oil and vanilla. Add 4 cups bread mix; stir just until moistened.
- Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 188 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Poppy Seed Bread Mix in Quick Cooking March/April 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.