Poppy Seed Blueberry Bread
"This was the first bread I made that my husband said was a 'keeper'," relates Jennifer Miller of Avon, Indiana. Poppy seeds and lemon peel perk up the flavor of these moist mini loaves while drizzled glaze sweetens their tops.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
Makes2 mini loaves (5 slices each)
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) blueberry muffin mix
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 to 3 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Drain and rinse blueberries from muffin mix; set aside. In a bowl, combine the muffin mix, egg, water, oil, poppy seeds and lemon zest just until blended. Fold in blueberries. Spread into two greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioner's sugar and enough lemon juice to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over warm loaves.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 293 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 388mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Poppy Seed Blueberry Bread in Quick Cooking January/February 2003