"This was the first bread I made that my husband said was a 'keeper'," relates Jennifer Miller of Avon, Indiana. Poppy seeds and lemon peel perk up the flavor of these moist mini loaves while drizzled glaze sweetens their tops.
Recommended: 60 Muffin Recipes Worth Waking Up For
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) blueberry muffin mix
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 to 3 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Drain and rinse blueberries from muffin mix; set aside. In a bowl, combine the muffin mix, egg, water, oil, poppy seeds and lemon peel just until blended. Fold into two greased 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm loaves. Yield: 2 mini loaves.
Originally published as Poppy Seed Blueberry Bread in Quick Cooking January/February 2003, p49