Poppy Seed-Banana Mini Loaves
These lovely loaves from Katherine Stallwood of Kennewick, Washington are absolutely perfect for gift giving. A surprising hint of orange adds a unique touch to this banana bread which is crunchy outside and deliciously moist inside.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
Makes3 loaves (6 slices each)
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- In a small bowl, beat butter and sugar for 2 minutes or until crumbly. Beat in egg and bananas. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; beat into banana mixture just until blended. Stir in poppy seeds and orange zest.
- Transfer to three 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. For topping, cut butter into brown sugar until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 160 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Banana Poppy Seed Bread in Light & Tasty December/January 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.