Popover Apple Pie
This is a family favorite that's perfect for cozy winter nights. The golden brown crust bakes in the oven, and the apple and cranberry filling cookings in the microwave, then is spooned into the crust. —Beki Kosydar-Krantz of Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup 1% milk
- 1 cup cold orange juice
- 1 package (3 ounces) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 3/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 6 large peeled tart apples, sliced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Combine the eggs, egg whites and milk; whisk into the dry ingredients just until blended. Pour into a greased 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet.
- Bake at 450° for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° (do not open oven door). Bake until deep golden brown, 10-15 minutes (do not underbake).
- In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk the orange juice, pudding mix and apple pie spice. Stir in apples and cranberries. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes; stir. Cover and cook until apples are tender, 5-7 minutes longer, stirring every 2 minutes. Let stand, covered for 5 minutes.
- Spoon hot apple mixture into crust. Sprinkle with walnuts. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 254 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 256mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Popover Apple Pie in Light & Tasty December/January 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.