Popeye’s Favorite Meatballs
As you probably guessed by the name of this recipe, spinach is the star of these hearty meatballs. Even folks who say they don't normally care for spinach can't get enough of them. And I don't mind serving them often since they're good for you, too.—Cheryl Miller, Fort Collins, Colorado
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup 1% cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- In a bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients. Add spinach and beef; mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 8 minutes. turn and broil 3-5 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 176 calories, 9g fat (0 saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 meat, 1 vegetable.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Popeye's Favorite Meatballs in Country Woman September/October 1999