Popeye’s Favorite Meatballs
As you probably guessed by the name of this recipe, spinach is the star of these hearty meatballs. Even folks who say they don't normally care for spinach can't get enough of them. And I don't mind serving them often since they're good for you, too.—Cheryl Miller, Fort Collins, Colorado
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 1% cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Add spinach and beef; mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 8 minutes. turn and broil 3-5 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 176 calories, 9g fat (0 saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Popeye's Favorite Meatballs in Country Woman September/October 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.