Popcorn Nut Crunch Recipe
Meet the Cook: Our brood - five children from 16 to 23 - says it's not Christmas here until I make this. I usually double the recipe so I can put some in tins or baskets for hostess gifts when we're invited out. As long as it's kept in a dry place, Popcorn Nut Crunch will last - up to 3 weeks if you seal it in a tin. -Midge Stolte, Blackfalds, Alberta
- 2 quarts popped popcorn
- 1 cup blanched whole almonds, toasted
- 1 cup each pecan halves, cashews, Brazil nuts and hazelnuts, toasted
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. Place the popcorn and nuts in a lightly greased 5-qt. Dutch oven. Bake at 250° for 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and butter; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 290° (soft-crack stage).
- 3. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and cinnamon. Pour a small amount at a time over popcorn mixture, stirring constantly until the mixture is well coated.
- 4. Immediately spread on greased baking sheets. Cool; break into pieces. Store in airtight containers. Yield: about 4 quarts.
1 cup: 471 calories, 32g fat (7g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 204mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Popcorn Nut Crunch
Reviewed Jan. 11, 2009
"WOW! These are great!"
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC