Popcorn Caramel Crunch
I live in popcorn country, and there's even a town nearby that has a "Popcorn Days" celebration. This is a good snack and also good for entertaining during the holidays, especially because it can be made ahead of time.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + cooling
Makesabout 8 cups
- 4 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 1 cup chow mein noodles
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large greased bowl, combine the popcorn, peanuts, noodles and raisins; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, butter, corn syrup and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches soft-crack stage (270°-290°) with a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat. Stir in cinnamon.
- Pour over popcorn mixture; stir until evenly coated. Immediately pour onto a greased 15x10x1-in. pan.
- When cool enough to handle, break into pieces. Store in airtight containers.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 496 calories, 29g fat (12g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 419mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Popcorn Caramel Crunch in Country December/January 1992