Popcorn Almond Brittle
For a crunchy snack that suits the season, try this one. I've been stirring up batches of the distinctive brittle since 1975. With popcorn, almonds and candied cherries tossed together in a sweet crisp coating, it's a festive favorite we enjoy every year.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makesabout 1-1/2 pounds
- 6 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup each red and green candied cherries, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan, combine the popcorn, almonds and cherries. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Turn oven off and keep mixture warm in the oven.
- Meanwhile, in a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, water and salt; cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Cook over medium heat, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 305°-310° (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Immediately pour over popcorn mixture; toss gently. Spread onto a greased baking sheet. When cool, break into small pieces.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts2 ounce-weight: 276 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 194mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.