- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Season with pepper and garlic powder. Layer the beef, potatoes and onion slices in a shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Combine soup and milk; pour over all.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until potatoes are tender. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forPoor Man's Dinner
"This is likely to become a regular recipe at our house. I sliced the potatoes thin with my mandolin and they cooked up perfectly in the allotted recipe time. I would add a little oregano or thyme for some extra flavor but overall - simple and delicious."
"Please note this takes much longer to bake. I re-covered the dish and put it back in the oven for 30 additional minutes. That's a total of 1 hour and 45 minutes = 1-3/4 hours (both the cookbook and the online recipe tell us to only cook for 1-1/4 hours). I sprinkled cheedar cheese on top."
"Love this recipe! I add carrots and also add a pack of dry brown gravy mix or dry beefy onion soup mix for a little extra flavor."
"it takes much longer time to bake, I actually had to set the oven to 400F for the last 30min to have the potatoes tender. Also the flavor was plain and my family just don't like it, and I would not make it again, sorry.it takes much longer time to bake, I actually had to set the oven to 400F for the last 30min to have the potatoes tender. Also the flavor was plain and my family just don't like it, and I would not make it again, sorry."
"This was so good, so easy to make and so cheap to make, my husband and even our picky daughter loved it. This will be made many, many more times at our house."
"This recipe was very very good, and I can't wait to make it again."