Pomegranate Poached Pears
Pears can benefit from an overnight soak in poaching liquid in the fridge. They'll pick up more flavor and the pomegranate's ruby color. Guests will enjoy identifying the subtle tastes in the reduction sauce from wine, rosemary and fruit juices.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour 25 min.
- 3 cups dry red wine or red grape juice
- 1 bottle (16 ounces) pomegranate juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs (4 inches)
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 6 medium pears
- 6 orange slices
- 6 tablespoons Mascarpone cheese
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first eight ingredients. Core pears from the bottom, leaving stems intact. Peel pears; place on their sides in the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until pears are almost tender. Remove with a slotted spoon; cool.
- Strain poaching liquid and return to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cook until reduced to 1 cup, about 45 minutes. Discard rosemary and cinnamon. Place an orange slice on each serving plate; top with 1 tablespoon cheese and a pear. Drizzle with poaching liquid.