Pomegranate Glazed Beets
A ruby red pomegranate glaze lends a tart, slightly sweet taste to tender beets. They’d be the perfect addition to a festive holiday table. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 pounds fresh beets, trimmed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut each beet into six wedges; place in a large bowl. Add oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt; toss to coat.
- Place a piece of heavy-duty foil (about 24 in. long) in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Arrange beets on foil; fold foil around beets and seal tightly. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until beets are tender. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the pomegranate juice, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon stick, orange zest, pepper and remaining salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until mixture is syrupy and reduced to 1/3 cup. Carefully remove beets from foil; add to syrup and toss gently to coat.