Pollo Guisado (Chicken Stew)
Featuring a pretty golden-red color and comforting flavor, this chicken stew will be a welcome entree at any celebration. It's perfect for pairing with red beans and rice.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Cook: 55 min.
- 1/2 cup Sofrito
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 envelope Goya Sazon with coriander and annatto
- 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first four ingredients. Add the chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- In a large nonstick skillet, brown chicken in oil. Stir in the potatoes, water and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until chicken is tender. Add additional water if necessary. Discard bay leaves before serving.
Editor's NoteLook for Goya Sazon, a seasoning blend, in the international foods section.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 360 calories, 21g fat (4g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 511mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Pollo Guisado in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.