When my in-laws from Poland visited, I made this dish for them, knowing their fondness for sausage and potatoes. They liked it enough to request the recipe, and I gained the reputation of a good cook. -Odette Dallaire, Los Alamos, New Mexico
Recommended: 38 Make-Ahead Meals for Your Busy Family
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 to 10 small red potatoes
- 2 uncooked bratwurst links
- 1 fresh kielbasa or Polish sausage link
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender but firm. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove and cut into 1/4-in. slices; set aside.
- In the same skillet, combine the sugar, flour, salt, mustard and celery seed. Cook and stir over medium heat in butter until mixture is hot and bubbly. Gradually add broth and vinegar; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened. Stir in the onion, celery, parsley, and sausage.
- Drain potatoes; peel and slice into skillet. Gently stir into sausage mixture. Heat through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Polish Potato Salad in Taste of Home August/September 1998, p25