I MAKE this cake a lot because everyone loves it. It’s a hit for all occasions. The secret is not to tell anyone it’s a beet cake. The beet flavor doesn’t take over but makes the cake nice and moist. --Patricia Skalitzky, Oxford, Wisconsin
Recommended: 75 Incredibly Easy 5-Ingredient Christmas Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced beets, drained
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar, beets, oil, eggs, chocolate and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large mixing bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Beat in sugar and vanilla. Gradually beat in milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until smooth. Frost top and sides of cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Polish Beet Cake in Reminisce August/September 2007, p49