Polar Bear Pie Recipe
Kids will warm up to this cool confection in a hurry! With cute critters, the dessert is perfect for a celebration featuring the Polar Bear Stuffed Centerpiece and Party Props. Our kitchen staff created their chilly treat by spreading blue ice cream over a homemade cookie crust. With more of the same dough, they shaped a sign and polar bears, too. Since the treat is so simple to prepare, you'll easily be able to take your next party in a new direction—north!
- 3/4 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups blue moon ice cream
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder*
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup water
- Assorted gel or liquid food coloring
- 1 peppermint stick
- 1-1/4 cups whipped topping
- 1. In a small mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the vanilla. Combine the flour, almonds and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. Press 1 cup of dough into the bottom of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out remaining dough to a 1/4-in. thickness. Cut out one 2-in. x 1-1/4-in. rectangle. Using a 4-in. bear cookie cutter, cut out three bears. Bake at 350° for 8-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Save dough scraps for another use. Spread the ice cream over the cooled crust; cover and freeze.
- 4. Meanwhile in a mixing bowl, combine the meringue powder, confectioners' sugar and water; beat for 7-10 minutes or until thickened. Frost bears and rectangle; set aside to dry.
- 5. Using a new, unused fine paintbrush or a toothpick, paint eyes, nose and scarf on each bear with food coloring. Paint "North Pole" on rectangle; attach to peppermint stick with icing. Let dry.
- 6. Remove pie from freezer 15 minutes before serving. For icebergs, place one small and three large dollops of whipped topping on pie. Just before serving, insert bears into topping. Insert sign into ice cream. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 537 calories, 25 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 267 mg sodium, 74 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Reviews for Polar Bear Pie
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC