- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Red colored sugar
- Red and green candied cherries, quartered
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half; wrap in plastic wrap. Chill overnight or until firm.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of dough into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle, about 1/8-in. thick. Cut into 2-in. squares. In each square, make 1-in. slits in each corner. Bring every other corner up into center to form a pinwheel; press lightly. Sprinkle cookies with red sugar and press a candied cherry piece into the center of each.
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Cool 1-2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews forPoinsettia Cookies
"they aren't that hard to make and they taste and look good"
"next time I am making cookies those are the first I,m making"
"Much easier to make than I anticipated and I received many compliments."
"These are great for children to make and bake with supervision, and they are tasty and melt in your mouth."