Poached Salmon with Dill & Turmeric
This is among my husband's favorites because it's always moist, tender, juicy and delicious. It's a quick, simple way to prepare salmon, and the robust turmeric doesn't overpower the taste of the fish. —Evelyn Banker, Elmhurst, New York
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 medium), finely chopped
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided
- 4 salmon fillets (1 inch thick and 4 ounces each)
- 8 fresh dill sprigs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, heat oil and cumin over medium heat 1-2 minutes or until seeds are toasted, stirring occasionally. Stir in potatoes, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon turmeric. Cook, covered, on medium-low 10-12 minutes or until tender. Stir in 1 tablespoon chopped dill; cook, uncovered, 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, place salmon, skin side down, in a large skillet with high sides. Add dill sprigs, lemon zest, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, remaining turmeric and enough water to cover salmon. Bring just to a boil. Adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook, uncovered, 7-9 minutes or until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork.
- In a small bowl, mix yogurt, pepper and the remaining 1 tablespoon chopped dill and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Serve with salmon and potatoes.