Poached Perch with Broccoli
We live near Lake Erie and love to fish, and we consider this our favorite perch recipe. It's quick and easy to prepare and so delicious. Everyone who tastes it loves the tender fillets served with broccoli in a creamy garlic sauce. -Alyce Reed, Elyria, Ohio
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound fresh broccoli, cut into spears
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 pounds perch fillets
- GARLIC SAUCE:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place broccoli in a steamer basket. Place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water; bring to a boil. Cover and steam until crisp-tender; set aside and keep warm.
- In a large skillet, combine the water, onion, bay leaf, salt and tarragon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add perch fillets in batches. Cover and cook until fish is firm and flakes easily with a fork. Remove fish and onions with a slotted spoon; keep warm. Discard bay leaf.
- In a large bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. stir in 2-4 tablespoons cooking liquid until sauce reaches desired consistency.
- Arrange broccoli on a serving platter; top with fish, onions and garlic sauce.