Poached Pears with Orange Cream Recipe
- 2 firm medium pears
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup dry red wine or red grape juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon orange extract
- Additional grated orange zest, optional
- 1. Core pears from bottom, leaving stems intact. Peel pears; cut 1/4 in. from bottom to level if necessary. Place pears on their sides in a large saucepan. Add water, wine, sugar and vanilla. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, turning once, until pears are almost tender, 35-40 minutes. (For more intense flavor and color, leave fruit in cooking liquid and refrigerate overnight.)
- 2. Meanwhile, combine sour cream, confectioners' sugar, orange zest and extract. Refrigerate until serving.
- 3. Remove pears with a slotted spoon; pat dry and, if warm, cool to room temperature. Discard cooking liquid. Place pears on dessert plates. Serve with orange cream; if desired, top with additional grated orange zest. Yield: 2 servings.
Test Kitchen tips
1 each: 239 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 23mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 5g fiber), 3g protein.