VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1/3 cup ground walnuts
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 medium Bosc pears
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, sugar and molasses. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in the walnuts, flour and ginger. Spoon 3 tablespoonfuls batter 7 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown and lacy. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans. Drape each cookie over an inverted glass with a 2-in.-diameter bottom, forming four cups. Cool completely.
- Core pears from the bottom, leaving stems intact; peel pears. Place pears on their sides in a large saucepan. Add the water, sugar, orange peel and vanilla. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until pears are almost tender, turning once.
- Remove pears with a slotted spoon; cool to room temperature. Discard cooking liquid. Place pears in cookie cups. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Poached Pears in Lace Cookie Cups in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p149