Lillian Julow likes to serve these luscious pears whenever she is celebrating a memorable occasion. "They always make a pretty addition to a special dinner for two," she writes from her home in Lawrenceville, Georgia.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 lemon slice
- 1 piece cinnamon stick (1 inch)
- 2 medium firm pears with stems attached
- 4 red-hot candies
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- In a saucepan, bring the water, sugar, lemon slice and cinnamon stick to a boil. Carefully peel pears, leaving stem attached; add to sugar mixture. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until pears are tender, turning occasionally.
- Carefully remove pears and set aside. Add red-hots to sugar syrup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until syrup is reduced by half. Remove from the heat; discard lemon and cinnamon. Stir in extracts. Return pears to sauce; cool to room temperature. To serve, spoon sauce onto dessert plates; top with pears. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Poached Pears in Almond Sauce in Cooking for 2 Spring 2005, p55
Reviews forPoached Pears in Almond Sauce
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review