Poached Orange Roughy with Tarragon Sauce
A flavorful herb-flecked sauce enhances the mild, poached-to-perfection fish fillet in this recipe from our Test Kitchen.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup dry white wine or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 7 whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon, divided
- 4 orange roughy or red snapper fillet (4 ounces each)
- 1/8 teaspoon each salt and white pepper
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 egg yolk
- In a large nonstick skillet, combine the water, wine or broth, vegetables, lemon juice, peppercorns, bay leaf and 1-1/2 teaspoons tarragon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add fillets and poach, uncovered, until fish is firm and flakes easily with a fork (about 8-10 minutes per inch of fillet thickness). Remove to a warm serving platter.
- Strain 1 cup of cooking liquid, place in a saucepan. Add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to about 1/3 cup. Remove from the heat. In a small bowl, beat milk and egg yolk. Stir 1 tablespoon reduced liquid into egg mixture' return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining tarragon. Bring to a gentle boil over low heat; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Spoon over fish.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 106 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 152mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat.
Originally published as Poached Orange Roughy with Tarragon Sauce in Light & Tasty August/September 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.