Poached Orange Pears
Although these pears are very simple to prepare, they are quite elegant. I especially love to serve them when fresh raspberries are in season. They make a beautiful presentation for special occasions and are always well liked by both young and old. —Edna Lee, Greeley, Colorado
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 4 large pears, peeled and halved
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- In a large saucepan, bring the orange juice, brown sugar and cinnamon stick to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Add pears; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender but firm.
- Using a slotted spoon, place each pear half in a dessert dish. Garnish with raspberries. Drizzle with poaching liquid.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 138 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 5mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Poached Orange Pears in Quick Cooking September/October 2005