Poached Orange Pears
“These pears are very simple to prepare, but so elegant,” assures Edna Lee of Greeley, Colorado. “I love to serve them when fresh raspberries are in season. They make a beautiful presentation for special occasions and are always well liked by both young and old.” TIP: “I've occasionally used home-canned pear halves and no one ever knows the difference,” Edna says.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 4 large pears, peeled and halved
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- In a large saucepan, bring the orange juice, brown sugar and cinnamon stick to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Add pears; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender but firm.
- Using a slotted spoon, place each pear half in a dessert dish. Garnish with raspberries. Drizzle with poaching liquid.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 138 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 5mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Poached Orange Pears in Quick Cooking September/October 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.