Poached Meatballs in Lemon Sauce
I discovered this among my collection of Southern recipes, and when I fixed these meatballs for my husband, there wasn't one left! The lemon sauce gives a nice tang to the taste buds.—Taj Renee Brown, San Antonio, Texas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2-1/4 cups water, divided
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 large egg yolks
- Cooked rice
- In a bowl, combine bread crumbs, egg, salt and lemon zest. Add ground beef; mix well. Shape into 12 meatballs, about 1-1/2 in. in diameter; set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil; add bouillon and stir to dissolve. Gently drop meatballs into broth. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until the meatballs are no longer pink; remove to a warm bowl.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining water; stir into broth. Add lemon juice; cook and stir until thickened. Stir a small amount of broth into egg yolks; blend well. Return to saucepan and heat through. Serve sauce over meatballs.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 291 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 215mg cholesterol, 1036mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Poached Meatballs in Lemon Sauce in Country Ground Beef