Poached Meatballs in Lemon Sauce
I discovered this among my collection of Southern recipes, and when I fixed these meatballs for my husband, there wasn't one left! The lemon sauce gives a nice tang to the taste buds.—Taj Renee Brown, San Antonio, Texas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2-1/4 cups water, divided
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 large egg yolks
- Cooked rice
- In a bowl, combine bread crumbs, egg, salt and lemon zest. Add ground beef; mix well. Shape into 12 meatballs, about 1-1/2 in. in diameter; set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil; add bouillon and stir to dissolve. Gently drop meatballs into broth. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until the meatballs are no longer pink; remove to a warm bowl.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining water; stir into broth. Add lemon juice; cook and stir until thickened. Stir a small amount of broth into egg yolks; blend well. Return to saucepan and heat through. Serve sauce over meatballs.