I discovered this among my collection of Southern recipes, and when I fixed these meatballs for my husband, there wasn't one left! The lemon sauce gives a nice tang to the taste buds.—Taj Renee Brown, San Antonio, Texas
Recommended: 25 Recipes You Can Make in a Microwave
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2-1/4 cups water, divided
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 large egg yolks
- Cooked rice
- In a bowl, combine bread crumbs, egg, salt and lemon zest. Add ground beef; mix well. Shape into 12 meatballs, about 1-1/2 in. in diameter; set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil; add bouillon and stir to dissolve. Gently drop meatballs into broth. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until the meatballs are no longer pink; remove to a warm bowl.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining water; stir into broth. Add lemon juice; cook and stir until thickened. Stir a small amount of broth into egg yolks; blend well. Return to saucepan and heat through. Serve sauce over meatballs. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Poached Meatballs in Lemon Sauce in Country Ground Beef 1993, p70
Reviews forPoached Meatballs in Lemon Sauce
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 31, 2009
"sounds delicious, but the sodium content would 'kill' me."