Poached Eggs with Tarragon Asparagus
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 4 large eggs
- 1. Place 3 in. of water in a large skillet with high sides; bring to a boil. Add asparagus; cook, uncovered, 2-4 minutes or until asparagus turns bright green. Remove asparagus and immediately drop into ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- 2. In a separate large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Add asparagus, tarragon, salt and pepper; cook asparagus 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender, turning occasionally. Remove from pan; keep warm. In same skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Remove from heat.
- 3. Add 2-3 in. fresh water to skillet used to cook asparagus. Bring to a boil; adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a small bowl; holding bowl close to surface of water, slip egg into water.
- 4. Cook eggs, uncovered, 3-4 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. Using a slotted spoon, lift eggs out of water; serve over asparagus. Sprinkle with toasted bread crumbs.
1 serving: 170 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 194mg cholesterol, 513mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable.
Mar 28, 2018
Simple recipe with very little ingredients, which I like. I didn't want to put bread crumbs all over because I'm diabetic and very carb sensitive, so I toasted some almond slivers and used them instead. Delicious and even healthier!
Jul 15, 2017
very good with lots of flavor. My 13 yr old son helped me cook it and he loved it! His exact words were "My mouth is exploding with flavor!"
Jul 13, 2017
I love poached eggs on asparagus. I changed this up just a little bit by roasting the asparagus with the garlic. The tarragon was a nice touch. My husband added a bit of freshly shaved parmesan cheese and coarsely ground black pepper to his. If you're not a fan of tarragon rosemary works well too. I will definitely make this again.
Jun 25, 2017
My husband and I enjoyed this recipe. I'm always looking for new ways to use my homegrown asparagus and this recipe was perfect!
Jun 25, 2017
My husband and I are big fans of poached eggs & this was such a refreshing way to enjoy an old classic. We loved the taste of the asparagus with the eggs & even though I'm not a huge tarragon fan, but it worked really well in this recipe. Definitely a keeper!
Jun 22, 2017
Very good. I added a little hollandaise for some zing, and put the toasted crumbs on top. A keeper for sure
Jun 20, 2017
I made this for breakfast this morning. Instead of the toasted bread crumbs l put a piece of toast underneath. And grated a little fresh parmasen on top. It was very nice and looked great with the fresh local asparagus. I'll make this again. Janet. VFE
Jun 20, 2017
I'm not a big poached egg fan, but this recipe looked interesting. My husband loved it!!! It's a spin I never would have thought of. I'll definitely make this again.