Poached Eggs in Stewed Tomatoes
I found this meatless dish in a recipe book I purchased along with a bag of Walla Walla sweet onions at a farm stand. When I ask my husband if he has any suggestions for dinner he often comes up with this.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, carrot, celery, green pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, honey, chili powder, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf.
- With a spoon, make eight indentations in the tomato mixture. Break eggs into indentations. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook until cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
Originally published as Eggs in Hades in Country Woman May/June 2005