Poached Egg Salads with Pancetta Vinaigrette
My husband and I think the best way to eat an egg is to poach it. Nothing is better than when the yolk breaks and combines with this salad's rustic flavors of shiitake mushrooms, pancetta and arugula.
Total TimePrep: 40 min.
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed quartered artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups whole fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 ounces pancetta or bacon strips, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- In a large bowl, combine the artichokes, mushrooms, oil, rosemary, salt and pepper; transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 425° until mushrooms are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook pancetta and shallot over medium heat until pancetta is crisp. Stir in the sherry vinegar, mustard and sugar; heat through. Transfer to a small bowl; gradually whisk in oil. Set aside.
- Place 2-3 in. of water in a large skillet with high sides; add white vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently. Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a custard cup or saucer; holding the cup close to the surface of the water, slip each egg into water.
- Cook, uncovered, until whites are completely set and yolks are still soft, about 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, lift eggs out of water.
- Divide arugula among 8 salad plates. Top each with artichoke mixture and a poached egg; drizzle with vinaigrette.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 219 calories, 17g fat (4g saturated fat), 217mg cholesterol, 521mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 9g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Poached egg with roasted shitake mushroom and artichoke salad and pancetta vinaigrette in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011