- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 pounds fresh plums, pitted and halved
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- Melt butter in a 10-in. cast-iron or oven proof skillet. Sprinkle brown sugar over butter. Arrange plum halves, cut side down, in a single layer over sugar; set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs until thick and lemon-colored; gradually beat in sugar. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Blend water and lemon extract; beat into batter. Pour over plums. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until cake tests done. Immediately invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forPlum Upside-Down Cake
"I made this with rhubarb (with a little extra sugar) for Easter last year. My family ate the whole thing. The cake itself is fabulous, so I'm sure it would be great with plums, too."
"it's sooo GOOD! this has to have five stars!! we put a less sugar and it was tart but, it was YUMMY!!"
"I forgot to flip it immediately and it still came out mostly nicely."
"We have a Santa Rosa plum tree in our yard. I have made this recipe with our plums for the last four years. My co-workers and family beg for more plum cake."