The homemade plum sauce that's baked onto these tender Cornish hens is wonderful. "Save this recipe for your best company," recommends Annie Tompkins of Deltona, Florida. "I often sprinkle the hens with toasted coconut for a different taste sensation."
Featured In: 60 Easy Summer Recipes to Make In a 13x9 Pan
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 large navel oranges, sliced
- 4 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each), split lengthwise
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) plums, pitted, drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup thawed lemonade concentrate
- 1/3 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted, optional
- Arrange orange slices in two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Top with game hens; sprinkle with pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place plums in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender; stir in lemonade concentrate, chili sauce, soy sauce, mustard, ginger, Worcestershire sauce and plums. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set 1 cup of sauce aside. Spoon remaining sauce over hens.
- Bake 30-45 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Sprinkle with coconut if desired. Serve with reserved plum sauce. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Plum-Glazed Cornish Hens in Quick Cooking March/April 2000, p37