Plum Coffee Loaf
I've baked this moist bread for so long that I don't recall where I got the recipe. A simple-to-make plum filling and hot roll mix make it easy to whip up on Christmas morning.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 can (30 ounces) purple plums, drained, halved and pitted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- Prepare and knead hot roll mix according to package directions. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Brush with butter. Place plums, cut side down, lengthwise down the center third of rectangle. Combine sugar, cinnamon and cloves; sprinkle over plums.
- Fold both long sides of dough over filling; pinch seam to seal and tuck ends under. Place a greased baking sheet on work surface next to loaf. Carefully slide loaf onto baking sheet. With a sharp knife, make slashes 1 in. apart across top of loaf. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over warm loaf. Sprinkle with almonds.
Originally published as Plum Coffee Loaf in Country Woman Christmas 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.