I look forward to cooking up this fruity spread each December, using the plums I picked and froze during summer.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 35 min. + cooling
- 2 pounds tart apples, peeled and quartered
- 2 pounds plums, pitted and quartered
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Place apples, plums and water in a large kettle; cover and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Cool.
- Puree in batches in a food processor or blender; return all to the kettle. Add sugar and spices. Simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Cool completely. Pour into jars.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 82 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 0 sodium, 21g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Plum-Apple Butter in Country Woman Christmas 1999