Pleasing Potato Pie
After a hectic day of teaching junior high, I often headed to the quiet of my kitchen for peace! Now that I'm retired, cooking has replaced teaching as my first love. I especially like to serve this hearty dish for a relaxing weekend brunch.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 2 cups shredded peeled potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup chopped fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Combine potatoes, 1/2 cup cheese and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate.
- In a bowl, beat eggs and milk. Add ham, onion, pepper and remaining cheese and salt; pour over potato crust (dish will be very full).
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 263 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 187mg cholesterol, 929mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Pleasing Potato Pie in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.