After a hectic day of teaching junior high, I often headed to the quiet of my kitchen for peace! Now that I'm retired, cooking has replaced teaching as my first love. I especially like to serve this hearty dish for a relaxing weekend brunch.
Recommended: 80 Recipes for Serious Potato Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups shredded peeled potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Combine potatoes, 1/2 cup cheese and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate.
- In a bowl, beat eggs and milk. Add ham, onion, pepper and remaining cheese and salt; pour over potato crust (dish will be very full). Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Pleasing Potato Pie in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p6