Pleasing Peas and Asparagus
Guests won't be able to resist the fresh flavor and color of this springtime vegetable combination from Nina Hall of Citrus Heights, California.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen peas
- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces or frozen asparagus tips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt, optional
- Dash pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add peas, asparagus, butter, parsley, garlic salt if desired and pepper. Return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain; serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 136 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 179mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Pleasing Peas and Asparagus in Quick Cooking March/April 1999
May 23, 2011
This has become an Easter dinner favorite for us, but it's wonderful anytime asparagus is a good buy. The peas make the more expensive asparagus go farther and serve more people, and the flavor is fantastic. Highly recommended!