VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Additional nutmeg
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar for 3 minutes. Add eggs; beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Gradually add the molasses and hot water. Combine flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Beat on low for 1 minute. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool. In a mixing bowl, beat cream and confectioners' sugar until soft peaks form. Serve with the gingerbread. Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Plantation Gingerbread in Country December/January 1999, p51
Reviews forPlantation Gingerbread
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 6, 2011
"Very yummy! moist and flavorful."
Reviewed Aug. 27, 2010
"Delicious! I'm not even a huge Gingerbread fan and I could have eaten the entire cake myself!"