I like to make this recipe for Christmas. The wonderful aroma of the gingerbread fills the entire house. I am a homemaker and mother of three children.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Additional nutmeg
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs; beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Stir in the molasses and hot water. Combine flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Beat just until combined.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a chilled small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar, beat until soft peaks form. Serve with gingerbread. Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 343 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 294mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Plantation Gingerbread in Country December/January 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.