I like to make this recipe for Christmas. The wonderful aroma of the gingerbread fills the entire house. I am a homemaker and mother of three children.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Additional nutmeg
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs; beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Stir in the molasses and hot water. Combine flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Beat just until combined.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a chilled small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar, beat until soft peaks form. Serve with gingerbread. Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 343 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 294mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Plantation Gingerbread in Country December/January 1999