Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 packages (10 to 12 ounces each) vanilla or white chips
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 7 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons meringue powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Red and blue food coloring
- Red, blue and white sprinkles
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the vanilla chips and peanut butter. Microwave, uncovered, at 50% power for 1-1/2 to 3-1/2 minutes or until melted; stir until smooth. Stir in cereal and peanuts. Press into a greased 13x9-in. pan. Let stand at room temperature until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Divide the pan of bars in half. On one half, cut out stars using a greased 2-1/2-in. star-shaped cookie cutter. Cut remaining half into 3-1/4x1-1/4-in. bars for stripes.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water, meringue powder and cream of tartar; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat on high for 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Divide frosting among three bowls. Tint one red and one blue and leave remaining frosting white. Decorate cutouts with frosting and sprinkles.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Meringue powder is available from Wilton Industries. Call 800-794-5866 or visit wilton.com.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 155 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 111mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 10, 2009
We substituted Just Whites for the meringue powder. We made these bars for a bake sale and received many compliments. We'll make these again. Thanks!Karen
May 25, 2009
Very, Very yummy! Everyone enjoyed these!!!!!