Planked Spicy Strip Steaks
To infuse steaks with a sweet, smoky flavor, our home economists cook them on wood grilling planks. Simple seasonings are all you need.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + soaking Grill: 20 min.
- 2 maple grilling planks
- 4 boneless beef top loin steaks (12 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Soak grilling planks in water for 1 hour. Drizzle steaks with oil. Combine the coriander, chili powder, allspice and cayenne; rub over both sides of steaks.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until grill marks appear; remove.
- Place planks on grill over direct medium heat. Cover and heat until planks create a light to medium smoke and begin to crackle (this indicates planks are ready), about 3 minutes. Turn planks over. Place steaks on planks.
- Grill, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
Editor's NoteTop loin steak may be labeled as strip steak, Kansas City steak, New York strip steak, ambassador steak or boneless club steak in your region.
Originally published as Smokey Strip Steaks in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips