After tinkering with the herbs and spices of what was my favorite fish recipe I decided to grill the fish on a plank and what a world of difference it was. Hands down, this is now one of our favorite fish recipes. —Judy Castranova, New Bern, North Carolina
Recommended: How to Cook in Foil Packets
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 grilling planks
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 4 teaspoons each minced fresh basil, cilantro and parsley
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 trout fillets (6 ounces each)
- Soak planks in water at least 1 hour. Combine butter, ginger, herbs, honey, lemon peel, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Place planks on grill over direct medium heat. Cover and heat 3 minutes or until light to medium smoke comes from the plank and the wood begins to char. (This indicates the plank is ready.) Turn plank over and place on indirect heat.
- Spread herb mixture over flesh side of fillets. Place fish on planks, skin side down. Grill, covered, over medium heat 10-15 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Plank-Grilled Ginger-Herb Trout in TasteofHome.com 2017